Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
Bachelor of Science in Communication, 2001, cum laude
GPA: 3.87 (communication) 3.65 (overall)
Major: Media Studies – Multimedia
Concentration: Computer Science
Minor: Music Minor
Senior Web Developer PBS NewsHour website, Arlington, Virginia and Cincinnati, Ohio, Sept. 2004 – present
- Collaboratively update WordPress custom theme with team.
- Coded and implemented two custom CMS-es (PHP and Plone/Zope), complete with YouTube uploader and PBS video uploader.
- Completed two entire site redesigns.
- Produce web forms and calendars to improve workflow efficiency
- Test and develop prototypes for accuracy before deployment and track bugs after deployment.
- Parsed Associated Press election vote count data to use on the website and to dynamically generate graphics for live broadcast during election returns. Four election cycles: 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
Web Manager for Ohio University Marching Band Alumni website, March 2005 to January 2009
- Redesigned and maintained the website.
Interactive Developer at Hirons & Company, Bloomington, Indiana, September 2002 to May 2004
- Coded Web pages in HTML, PHP, and ASP resulting in cross-platform, accessible websites.
- Coded dynamic, database-driven Web applications such as content management, secure member areas, file uploads and custom reports.
- Created and updated Access and SQL databases.
- Coded multimedia CD-ROMs and animations in Flash.
- Designed graphics and created layout designs.
- Tested Web-based applications and Web pages for accuracy.
Graphic Designer at Resite Information Technology, Bloomington, Indiana, November 2001 to September 2002
- Designed graphics and create layout designs for websites.
- Produced a Web-based application user manual, involving layout and content creation.
- Designed graphics for Claremont Communities’ websites.
- Periodically acted as a consultant for writing and multimedia projects.
- Created layouts for product sheets and flyers.
- Photographed apartment buildings for the Pinnacle Properties’ website.
- Wrote news and human-interest stories for online community newsletters, published online for a national audience.
Web Manager for Habitat for Humanity of Monroe Country, Bloomington, Indiana, October 2001 to May 2004
- Redesigned and maintained the website.
- Designed cover for the 2002 annual report.
- I was also a member of the Public Relations Committee.
Audio/Visual Web Designer for Wired for Books, Telecommunications Center, Ohio University, September 2000 to June 2001
- Acted as audio engineer to record authors, such as Karen Harper and Jack Matthews. I also recorded CBS radio host Don Swaim, who interviewed authors during the 1980s and 1990s.
- Acted as post-production editor and sound designer for two audio books, Shakespeare’s Macbeth and Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- Wired for Books includes poetry, short stories, lectures, theatrical performances, and children’s literature and draws over 1,000 visitors per day. The project has received national awards and press coverage.
Operations Intern at NBC station WCMH Channel 4, Columbus, Ohio, Summer 2000
- Worked with the Multimedia Producer on the Channel 4 Web page.
- Helped produce a montage segment for the July 4th fireworks display, Red, White, and Boom.
Traffic Assistant at PBS station WOUB, Athens, Summer 1999
- Maintained and created television and radio logs.
Announcer at WOUB, 1340 A.M., Athens, Ohio, Winter 1999
- Announced general public information including weather and upcoming local events.
Data Management and Analysis Specialist, Dean’s Office, Ohio University College of Arts & Sciences, June 1999 – June 2000
- Kept track of classroom assignments and space allocations throughout the College of Arts and Sciences (approximately half of Ohio University).
- Uploaded files to Web and compiled data on enrollment trends, to assist the Dean.
Proficient: HTML, CSS, XML, PHP, ASP, Plone, Zope, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Access and SQL databases
Basic: C++, XSLT, Flash and Flash ActionScript and UNIX
Able to meet quick deadlines
Effective at group work or independent
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative and hard-working
Honors & Activities
- Included in the Emmy Nomination for “New Approaches to News & Documentary Programming: Current News Coverage” for Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Interactive Coverage, July 2011, PDF page 34
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science Journalism Award for Excellence in Online Reporting co-recipient, March 2006, Press Release
- Member of the Monroe County Habitat for Humanity Public Relations Committee, 2001-2004
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 2001
- Ohio University School of Telecommunications Certificate of Recognition, 2001
- Ohio University Marching 110, 1997-2000
- Dean’s Scholarship, 1999-2001
- Helen Hoover Memorial Scholarship, 1999
- Loveland P.T.A. Scholarship, 1997
- Atlee Greenwald Math Scholarship, 1997
- Loveland Women’s Club Scholarship, 1997
available upon request.
This page last updated February 9, 2015.